Sunday, March 13, 2011

Affogato Sunday

It's 10:28 PM on the first 'daylight savings' night before a new work week starts and although many say that one hour doesn't affect them and it is easy to adjust to the transition (Mr. Mather being one of them, he is completely passed out right next to me), it's not true in my case. My brain still thinks it's 9:28 PM, code for -too early to sleep.


Cool sunday today, went bowling with my in-laws, and following some errands that happened right after bowling we stopped by Park Place for some Affogatos at Paciugo. No, I am not talking about the 'Park Place' next to 'Board Walk' on your original monopoly board, this one is a fairly new shopping area here in KC (Leawood, to be more specific) that offers good food, a relaxed atmosphere, and the BEST gelato in the city .

Affogatos are 20% off on Sundays, so keep a mental note for the future; if you are like me -a person who needs gelato to survive- every penny counts on your gelato budget. Melinda, owner of Paciugo, always makes sure to mention that we deserve a plaque for our record breaking points on our rewards card, so I think you get the picture, we pretty much have adopted the place as our second home.

I guess I should give a brief description of what an “Affogato” is for those who aren't very familiar with the term. When you scoop some gelato and pour a shot of espresso or hot chocolate (espresso in my case) on top, you my friend, have witnessed the making of an Affogato. I think in the italian way it is supposed to be vanilla gelato, but cool Paciugo people let you choose the flavors you want -at your own risk, after all not everything goes well with coffee.




Pistaccio, cinnamon and bacio are a nice trio with espresso (strawberry or orange are also good choices) and no cream (never cream). It's so good. 

1 comment:

  1. I love our affogato Sunday's! Sorry for the snoring, I was exausted. I'm looking forward to the pics of the new paintings on here (hint hint).

    ReplyDelete